grown up macaroni and cheese
prep time: 25 min.
cook time: 40 min.
8 srvs, 1/2 cup ea
2 cups elbow macaroni
1 1/2 cups 2% milk
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 oz. gruyere cheese, grated
3 oz. extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated
2 oz. blue cheese, crumbled
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 oz. thick sliced bacon, baked
2 slices white sandwich bread, crusts removed
2 tablespoons freshly chopped basil leaves
- preheat oven to 400°f.
- cook pasta according to package directions.
- drain well.
- heat the milk in a saucepan, do not boil.
- melt the butter in a medium pot and add the flour.
- cook over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring with a whisk.
- while whisking, add the hot milk and cook for 2 minutes more, until thickened and smooth.
- turn off the heat, add the gruyere, cheddar, blue cheese, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- add the cooked pasta and crumbled bacon and stir well.
- pour into a greased baking dish
- place bread slices in a food processor and pulse until you have coarse crumbs.
- add the basil and pulse to combine.
- sprinkle the bread crumb mixture over the top of the pasta.
- bake for 35–40 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the macaroni is browned on the top.
Nutrition (Per Serving)