greek eggplant dip
prep time: 45 min.
cook time: 1 hr. 10 min.
12, 1/4 cup srvs
1 1/2 lb eggplants (about 3 small)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, minced or grated
salt and freshly ground pepper
1 cup greek yogurt
1/4 teaspoon saffron threads, soaked in 2 tablespoons warm water
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint, to garnish
2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted, to garnish
a drizzle of olive oil, to garnish
- preheat the oven to 450ºf.
- prick the eggplants with a fork and put them on a baking sheet; cook for 45 minutes to one hour, until soft to the touch.
- allow to cool before peeling and mashing them, then place the pulp in a sieve to drain.
- this should yield about 1 1/4 cups drained pulp.
- heat the 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan and add the onion and garlic.
- cook until golden and then add the drained eggplant mush, cooking it with the onion and garlic for about 5 minutes over a gentle heat, stirring frequently.
- take off the heat and turn into a bowl to cool and season with salt and pepper.
- add the yogurt to the cooled eggplant mixture together with the saffron in the now golden water, stirring together well.
- turn into a bowl and sprinkle with the mint, toasted pine nuts and a drizzle of oil.
- serve with pita bread.
Nutrition (Per Serving)