fresh pear cobbler
prep time: 20 min.
cook time: 20 min.
8 srvs, 1/2 cup ea
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup water
4 1/2 cups fresh pears (about 2 lb.), peeled, sliced and cored
1 tablespoon lemon juice
dash ground nutmeg or apple pie spice
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons milk or buttermilk
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 large egg
1 tablespoon granulated sugar (for sprinkling)
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (for sprinkling)
- preheat oven to 400°f.
- place 8 ramekins or custard cups (4 to 6-ounce each) on a baking sheet.
- if you don't have ramekins, use a 2-quart baking dish.
- in a large heavy saucepan, combine the cornstarch, brown sugar and water and mix well.
- add the pears and cook over medium heat about 15 minutes or until the mixture thickens.
- remove the pears from the heat and add the lemon juice and nutmeg.
- divide the pear mixture among the ramekins or pour mixture into baking dish.
- to make the batter topping, in a medium mixing bowl combine the flour, granulated sugar and baking powder.
- in a measuring cup combine milk, butter and egg.
- pour liquids into dry ingredients and fold together just until batter is combined-it will be stiff.
- drop the batter by tablespoonfuls over the pear mixture and sprinkle with a mixture of the granulated sugar and ground cinnamon.
- bake for 15 minutes for ramekins or 20 minutes for baking dish or until the crust turns light brown and filling is bubbly.
Nutrition (Per Serving)