2 medium acorn or butternut squash (about 3 lbs.)
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
3 cups fat-free half-and-half
1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
2 tablespoons red curry paste
- preheat oven to 350°f.
- lightly coat two baking pans with nonstick cooking spray.
- cut each squash in half lengthwise; remove and discard seeds and membranes.
- place squash halves, cut side down, in baking pans.
- bake, uncovered, 1 hour.
- let cool.
- scoop out pulp; discard rind.
- place pulp in a food processor; purée 2 minutes or until smooth.
- combine puréed squash, chicken broth, half-and-half, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large dutch oven or heavy soup pot; stir.
- cook on stove top, uncovered, over low heat for 15 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- in a medium bowl, whisk peanut butter and curry paste with 1 cup of hot soup until smooth; stir mixture into soup and cook 5 minutes more.
- serve warm.
suggestion: if preparing for a gluten-free diet, carefully read product labels when selecting ingredients.