1 cauliflower head, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch florets
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1/2 cup half & half
4–5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup finely diced onion
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 1/2 cups arborio rice
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- preheat oven to 425°f. in a large bowl, toss cauliflower with 1 tablespoon of oil. spread on a rimmed baking pan; season with salt and pepper to taste. bake 20–25 minutes or until fork-tender and browned.
- reserve half of the florets in a bowl; set aside. place remaining half of the florets in a blender, add half & half and blend until mixture is smooth; set aside.
- in a medium saucepan, bring broth to a simmer.
- meanwhile, in a deep-sided skillet, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. add onion and thyme; sauté 4–6 minutes or until onions soften.
- add rice to skillet; sauté 1 minute or until slightly toasted. add 1/2 cup of the broth and cook, stirring constantly, until liquid is absorbed. continue adding broth in 1/2 cup amounts, cooking and stirring for 18–20 minutes (or until broth is absorbed and rice is creamy and al dente).
- stir in cauliflower–cream mixture and parmesan; cook 1–2 minutes. stir in reserved florets and parsley; cook until heated through. spoon into bowls and serve.
suggestion: if preparing for a gluten-free diet, carefully read product labels when selecting ingredients.