chili bean soup
prep time: 10 min.
cook time: 3 hr
6 srvs, 1 cup ea
1/2 lb. dried pink, red or pinto beans
3 1/2 cups boiling water
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon thyme and marjoram
1 can (14.5 oz.) stewed tomatoes
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 can (4 oz.) chopped green chilies
- rinse, sort and soak beans.
- drain and empty them into a large pot.
- add boiling water, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme and marjoram.
- cover and simmer until beans are tender (2 1/2 - 3 hours).
- don't let beans boil dry.
- add hot water as needed.
- mash beans if desired to make a thicker soup.
- add tomatoes (cut smaller if desired), chili powder, salt, pepper and chilies.
- heat at least 10 minutes to blend flavors.
- makes 5 to 6 cups of soup.
Nutrition (Per Serving)